Outside Mount Roman Shades: What to Know
Roman Shades are a stylish window treatment choice, and they come in a wide variety of styles and fabrics to suit your aesthetic and functionality needs. Plus, Roman Shades can be inside- or outside-mounted to suit your specific situation. Mounting your shade in the best way possible for your room will enhance the shade’s aesthetic as well as your window and overall room. Outside mount Roman Shades are a great choice for several reasons including improved light control, creating a sense of height in your room, and allowing you to layer more than one window treatment.
Learn more about inside versus outside mount Roman Shades to ensure outside mount is the right choice for your space. Then, dive into the benefits of outside mounted Roman Shades and learn best practices for measuring and installation. Finally, discover curated examples of outside mount Roman Shades to spark ideas for your own space.
Understanding Mount Applications: Inside vs Outside
You can mount Roman Shades in an inside- or outside-mount application. Learn more about each for a better understanding of your installation options.
Is It Better to Have Roman Shades Inside or Outside Mounted?
The right application for your Roman Shades will depend on your specific application as well as your personal needs and preferences. Some factors that will affect which is the best for your space include:
- How deep your window frame is: Inside mount Roman Shades require at least 1 ¼-inch depth to be properly secured, and even more (at least 3 inches) to sit flush inside your window frame. If your window frame is less than 1 ¼-inch deep, then your only choice is outside mount, which has no depth requirement.
- Your chosen control type: Different control types (how you lift and lower your shade) such as cordless and motorization, have different install needs and may be too large for your window box. In this case as well, outside mount is a great option since you have no size restrictions.
- Your aesthetic preference: If inside-mount is possible for your Roman Shades, then choosing between an inside mount or outside mount is entirely up to you. Inside-mounted Roman Shades will give you tailored aesthetic and expose your window’s trim, which may be preferred if you have elaborate trim detailing. Outside mounted Roman Shades will cover your window box entirely, which can be useful if your trim doesn’t look its best. Plus, the shade can help create a sense of height and space in the room by making the window and ceiling feel taller.
Ready to Shop?
Explore Roman Shade product options, all of which can be inside or outside mounted, depending on your depth requirement. SHOP ROMAN SHADES
Why Choose Outside Mounted Roman Shades?
Outside mount Roman Shades offer great benefits in terms of aesthetics and functionality:
- Covers window trim which may not look its best for a clean, sophisticated aesthetic.
- Provides texture and visual interest to a window box without trim that may otherwise look plain.
- Blocks more light from outside than an inside mount alone, especially when the material extends well past the window frame on either side.
- Creates the illusion of a larger window, which also helps your ceilings feel taller and your room more spacious.
- Allows you to layer another shade or blinds underneath your Roman Shade in an inside-mount application (as long as there’s enough depth for your chosen window treatment).
How to Measure for Outside Mount Roman Shades
Measuring for outside mounted Roman Shades is simple, since you don’t need to worry about depth requirement or having an asymmetrical window, which can affect inside-mount measurements. Follow these best practices when measuring for outside mount.
measuring for length & Width
For width, measure based on how far you want your shade to extend beyond the sides of your window frame. Be sure to measure so there’s an equal amount of shade extending past both sides of the frame.
For length, measure based on how high above the frame your shades will extend. Start at the height you want your shades to extend above the frame and measure all the way down to the bottom of your window frame.
Installation Best Practices for Outside Mount Roman Shades
Installing outside mounted Roman Shades will vary a bit based on the style of Roman Shade you choose, as well as your control type option. However, you can get a sense of the process with these general best practices.
Note: For an outside mount, you’ll need mounting brackets, whether you mount your shade on the wall or from the ceiling.
- Step 1: Gather tools. You’ll need a stepladder, pencil, tape measure, level, drill and a screwdriver.
- Step 2: Mark where the mounting brackets will go on your wall based on your shade’s measurements.
- Step 3: Drill pilot holes into your wall or ceiling to make bracket installation easier. This is a good time to check whether your mounting brackets fall on studs or drywall. If they fall on drywall, you’ll need to purchase drywall anchors to ensure secure installation.
- Step 4: Install the brackets using the pilot holes made in Step 3 and then mount the headrail on the brackets (pictured).
get Inspiring Ideas for Outside Mount Roman Shades
Explore spaces that use outside mounted Roman Shades and learn how the shades enhance the space to get ideas for your own design.
Earthy Living Room
For a living room with an earthy color scheme and lots of wide windows, opt for Flat Roman Shades in a stone-inspired color with subtle texture like Lowell Tweed in Flint. With wide windows, side-by-side outside mount Roman Shades will fully block the light from outside for a room darkening affect for family movie night. Or, if you want maximum natural light, outside mounted Roman Shades can be fully raised off the window when installed high enough for the material to clear the window.
Warm White Kitchen
In a warm, white kitchen with windows above the countertop, create continuity in your design with Woven Wood Shades made of material in a similar white tone to your cabinets and walls, like Monterey in White. The result is a clean, cohesive aesthetic that still has lots of dimension and visual interest thanks to the different textures in the space, from the organic Woven Wood Shade to the cabinets with beveling to the whitewashed brick backsplash. Plus, when unlined, Woven Wood Shades beautifully filter light to cut the glare while creating a soft warm glow for an inviting ambiance.
Casual, Inviting Family Room
For a casual family room, use outside mounted Roman Shades to bring a bold design element to your space. Choose a vertical ticking stripe pattern like Nomad Stripe in Graphite for strong contrast against off-white walls. Vertical stripes, especially on outside mount Roman Shades, help create the illusion of height, which makes your windows and ceiling seem taller.
Give your space even greater light and privacy control by layering a Solar Shade in an inside-mount application under the Roman Shade. The Solar Shade will help mitigate heat buildup and cut glare during the day while the Roman Shade will give you room darkening and privacy in the evenings, especially with blackout lining added.
Take the Next Step in Your Roman Shade Project
With lots of insight into outside mount Roman Shades, you’re ready to take the next step in your project. When you choose Roman Shades from The Shade Store, you can take advantage of our free measurement services to take the task off your hands. Our professionals measure your window perfectly for an outside mount Roman Shade application to accentuate your window and give you the coverage you need. Plus, we also come back for installation (charges apply) to finish the job.