Double Roller Shades: Definitions & Product Options
Double Roller Shades, sometimes called dual roller shades, double window shades or zebra blinds, are a streamlined, easy-to-use modern window treatment. To decide if they’re the right choice for your home, it’s important to understand just what they are, how they operate and what all your options are.
What Is a Double Roller Shade?
Typically, a Double Roller Shade is comprised of two layers of material with alternating sheer and opaque bands that you adjust to either alternate and let light through or overlay them for privacy and light control. However, Double Roller Shades can sometimes also be used to describe layered Roller Shades, or rather, two Roller Shades on two separate brackets in the same window.
Primary Meaning: Double Roller Shades (Zebra Blinds)
Most often, Double Roller Shades, or zebra blinds, mean:
- Two layers of material on the same roll.
- Alternating bands of sheer and opaque material you adjust to control your light and privacy.
- Standard metal valance and exposed bottom bar.
- Customization options available.
Secondary Meaning: Layered Double Roller Shades
A secondary, less common meaning of the term, Double Roller Shades, as layered double Roller Shades:
- Two separate Roller Shades on two separate brackets in the same window.
- Often consisting of one light-filtering shade and one blackout shade that you adjust individually for light and privacy control.
- Customization options available.
At The Shade Store, we only refer to Double Roller Shades in the first sense: A shade with two layers of alternating sheer and opaque bands. Still, it’s important to understand that outside of our product line, you may run into the term “double roller shades” referring to two roller shades layered on top of one another.
Now that you know the main differences between the two possible meanings of Double Roller Shades, learn about the product options and benefits of each to determine which is right for you.
Product Options for Double Roller Shades
When referring to Double Roller Shades in terms of those with alternating bands of sheer and opaque material, you have one product option with several customizations to choose from.
At The Shade Store, Double Roller Shades are a single product within the greater Roller Shades category, but they offer several unique customization options.
Customizations for Double Roller Shades
- Design options: Available in three materials and 15 colors to suit your style.
- Two control type options, including motorization for effortless ease or a continuous loop mechanism for simple manual control.
- Comes standard with metal valance available in white silver or black, or you can customize with a fabric insert that matches your chosen shade color.
- Comes standard with an exposed bottom bar which is automatically color-matched to your chosen metal valance color, white, silver or black, and provides a sleek finishing touch.
Benefits of Double Roller Shades
Double Roller Shades are a great choice for any window and have several benefits including:
- Provides simplified light and privacy control with a quick, easy pull (with a continuous loop control) to alternate the sheer and opaque bands or overlay the opaque bands for privacy.
- Delivers a modern, sleek aesthetic with its minimalist, linear design.
When to Choose Double Roller Shades
Whenever you want a sleek, simple way to control your light and privacy, but don’t need a blackout effect, Double Roller Shades are a good choice. They work beautifully on their own but can also be layered with other window treatments like Roman Shades or Drapery for even greater light and privacy control and more design versatility.
Product Options for Layered Double Roller Shades
When referring to Double Roller Shades in terms of two layered Roller Shades on two separate brackets in your window, you have two main product options to choose from: Roller Shades and Solar Shades.
Solar Shades are made from unique material that blocks UV rays while still allowing natural light to filter through. Solar Shades are available in a variety of materials and 125+ colors varying transparency levels that indicate how much light they allow through.
Beyond material choice, which is unique to each product, Roller and Solar Shades offer several shared customization options.
Customizations for Layered Double Roller & Solar Shades
Shared customization options for these types of double window shades include:
- Three control type options including motorization for effortless control, cordless for easy functionality and continuous loop for simple use.
- Valance options include no valance or a metal valance, metal valance with a material insert to match your front-facing shade, or an upholstered valance made in the same material as your front-facing shade.
- Bottom bar options include sewn-in, for a sleek, cohesive look, or an exposed designer bar for a metallic finishing touch.
Benefits of Layered Double Roller & Solar Shades
Both Roller and Solar Shades offer benefits when used in a layered application:
- Provide relatively easy light and privacy control, especially when you layer two shades of different light-filtering abilities, such as a blackout Roller Shade over a sheer Roller Shade or Solar Shade.
- Offers contemporary aesthetics with their chic designs and crisp, clean lines.
- Lots of design flexibility with several styles, materials, colors and patterns to find just the right look for your space.
When to Choose Layered Double Roller & Solar Shades
For any room where you want the most options for light control and privacy, from a bright open window to a blackout effect, layered double Roller Shades are an option. When you choose a light filtering shade and a blackout shade, you’re afforded different levels of light and privacy to suit your needs day in and day out.
However, choosing layered double roller shades does have it’s downsides, as the application will require two separate brackets which will likely be difficult to fit into most inside mount applications. For an outside mount application, they will protrude quite a bit from the wall.
Alternatives for Layered Double Roller Shades
A better choice for effective light and privacy control, while maintaining a pleasing aesthetic, is to layer a single Roller or Solar Shade with another window treatment option like Roman Shades or Drapery. These types of layered window treatments give you more light and privacy options as well as additional color and texture.
Double Down on Your Choice
With a better understanding of Double Roller Shades and your product options, you’re ready to zero in on the right choice for your needs and preferences. To see your double window shades product options up close, play with the different control types available, and explore material choices, visit your local showroom. The Shade Store showrooms feature interactive displays of all our products so you can experience the functionality for yourself. Plus, all material choices are available as swatches you can take home to compare more closely. Find a showroom near you and visit us soon.